IUBio

Cortical Columns

WimHamhuis wimhamhuis at home.nl
Sat Jun 14 04:07:21 EST 2003

> BTW, this stuff has been discussed in AoK,
> Ap6 all along. The existence of interdigitating
> "cortical stripes" is also explained in Ap6.
>
> If anyone wants a few crude visualization
> aids with respect to the
> "overlaying sliding fields" that are
> responsible for the existence of
> the ubiquitous "cortical cloumn" artifacts
> of "front-center orientation", poke around
> at these Google URLs:
>
> QBasic[tm] Code:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=1999110616413
> 8.16614.00002831%40ng-fk1.aol.com&rnum=3

This doesn't exist

> The whole thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=1999110806
> 1436.04256.00003229%40ng-fp1.aol.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26
> lr%3D%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26q%3DINFOCALC.BAS%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch

This doesn't exist

> The "INFOCALC.BAS" code is really all you need.
>
> This code is =really= old, and 'quick-&-
> dirty'. It was always for my own purposes only.
> It was originally done on an 8-bit ascii-only
> machine. The code still serves it's
> visualazation-aid purpose. The
> 'editor' is a 'pain'. It was a one-shot app
> I used to design 5 x 5 arrays of minus signs
> and asterisks, the asterisks constitution the
> 'info'. I just did an alphabet and some other
> images. It produces a random-access file,
> so it's necessary to use the editor to build the
> image file. You'll probably want to enhance it
> so that the images in "STIMULIxx.DAT" are
> read/write, rather than just "write" :-]
>
> If anyone wants a copy of an 'image' dta file,
> msg and I'll send it as an attachment. Better
> yet, I'll attach one to this msg.
>
> I still use QBasic[tm[ for stuff like this
> because it ships with Windows[tm] so there
> are millions of copies out there, which
> makes it possible for many folks to see
> this or that that's in the code.
>
> Further discussion of the "front-center
> orientation" stuff:
>
> It's Fundamental within development,
> and begins prenatally. It's hierarchical
> from global-system to ionic conductances,
> and includes myriad factors, such as
> limb-orientation 'probabilities' [not really
> "probabilities", but actual-experience
> 'echoes'], and abstract cross-correlation
> 'echoes' [AoK, Ap5; "biological mass" in
> all of its myriad information-processing-
> inertia forms.]
>
> If you read AoK, and take the 'time' to
> read some of the refs cited in AoK, you'll
> get all of this stuff. I'm writing, here, for
> folks who are already familiar with the
> fuctional Neuroanatomy, but who
> don't yet grasp it's overall integration.
>
> K. P. Collins
>
> [end copy of  un-'threaded' follow-up]

It should be wise to check this poster and follow-up for the links
provided aren't there anymore or didn't exist in the first place.

> | This overly-simplified discussion
> | provides minor insight into NDT.
> | NDT does the same, at a much
> | greater level of detail, with respect
> | to every major nuclear group within
> | nervous systems, providing concrete
> | biological mechanisms for [explanations
> | of], among other things, creativity,
> | curiosity, and volition. NDT flat-out nails
> | cognition and consciousness. Everything
> | in NDT reduces directly to the Proven
> | Neuroscience experimental results.
> | NDT is equivalently-stated, and
> | verified, in 5 independent-perspectives,
> | one of which is computer scientific.
> |
> | I ask [consider it a Formal Challenge
> | to MIT] that I be allowed to present an
> | =overview= of NDT at MIT [or where
> | ever you are these days], in forum that
> | is Open to the Public at a minimal cost
> | to the attendees [basically, only to
> | cover MIT's costs - lighting, etc.] Folks
> | in Computer Science, Physics,
> | Mathematics, Behavioral Science,
> | Sociology, and Philosophy will all find
> | newness that will be of significant
> | Usefulness to them if they attend such
> | a presentation.
> |
> | NDT is the "intermediate" stuff that
> | you call for in your post, quoted above, Sir.
> |
> | It constitutes nearly 32 years of Devoted
> | Work. Its implications with respect to Human
> | Survival are Immense, which is why I am
> | Obliged to work to achieve its generalized,
> | Open, communication.
> |
> | I Hope MIT will Accept this Formal
> | Challenge, with keen Cricticality,
> | ]and] with strong 'heart'.
> |
> | I'm in Massachusetts so I'll be able to
> | travel there with relative ease [I'll need
> | small considerations like free parking
> | during the process, though, and sufficient
> | lead-'time', and knowledge of MIT's
> | expectations, so I can specifically
> | address them. And a Student-Guide
> | would be helpful, if possible and practical.
> | I've worked 'outside of the system', and
> | am aware that I remain 'naive' with
> | respect to expectations of 'the system'.
> | The Student-Guide would be my
> | temporary 'crumpled-bag' "translation"
> | 'nucleus' :-]
> |
> | Sincerely, K. P. Collins
> |
> | --
> | "Schmitd! Schmitd! Ve vill build a Shapel!"

Qbasic is a neat language

This is an interpreter that can be programmed without line-numbers
like in GWBASIC :

10 dim a$(10)
20 Data "This","Link","Does not","Exist"
30 Restore
40 for x=1 to 4
50 read i$:a$(x)=i$
60 next x