IUBio

Meditation vs Shyness?

Ian Goddard igoddard at erols.mom
Tue Jun 24 11:19:59 EST 2003

  Can Meditation Reduce Shyness? - Ian Williams Goddard

  While meditation is logical therapy for anxiety due
  to its propensity for inducing calm, it might also
  be therapeutic for shyness (or social anxiety). The
  following research leads me to such a hypothesis...

  The New Scientist reports that researchers at Harvard
  Medical School examined the brains of adults who were
  extremely shy as children. They found that

    "adults who had been unusually shy in childhood
    ... displayed significantly higher activity in
    the amygdala than people who had been unusually
    outgoing as children. The amygdala is a brain
    structure involved in vigilance and fear." [1]

  So increased amygdala activity may promote shyness.
  Now consider recent research that found meditation
  REDUCES amygdala activity. According to Reuters:

    "research by Paul Ekman, of the University
    of California San Francisco Medical Center,
    suggests that meditation and mindfulness can
    tame the amygdala, an area of the brain which
    is the hub of fear memory." [2]

  Ergo: IF shyness (or social anxiety) has a causal link
  to increased amygdala activity, and IF meditation can
  reliably decreases amygdala activity, then meditation
  might help people to overcome excessive shyness. Apart
  from the cited research, such a hypothesis might not
  seem to be indicated given that both shyness and
  meditation tend to be associated with more passive
  behaviors. Yet meditation might counter shy neurology.

[1] "Shyness linked to brain differences."
NewScientist.com News Service. June 19, 2003.

[2] "Meditation Shown to Light Up Brains of Buddhists."
Reuters. May 21, 2003.
http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=2787394

  http://IanGoddard.net

  "Our greatest illusion is to believe that we are what
   we think ourselves to be." Henri Amiel (1821-1881)