IUBio

Alzheimer's and Education

Kim kn.green at nospamvirgin.net
Thu Jun 26 09:57:12 EST 2003

Its called the "Nun study".

Here are 2 abstracts which discus what you heard:

Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000 Apr;903:34-8.

Linguistic ability in early life and the neuropathology of Alzheimer's
disease and cerebrovascular disease. Findings from the Nun Study.

Snowdon DA, Greiner LH, Markesbery WR.

Sanders-Brown Center on Aging, College of Medicine, University of
Kentucky, Lexington 40536-0230, USA.

Findings from the Nun Study indicate that low linguistic ability in early
life has a strong association with dementia and premature death in late
life. In the present study, we investigated the relationship of
linguistic ability in early life to the neuropathology of Alzheimer's
disease and cerebrovascular disease. The analyses were done on a subset
of 74 participants in the Nun Study for whom we had handwritten
autobiographies completed some time between the ages of 19 and 37 (mean =
23 years). An average of 62 years after writing the autobiographies, when
the participants were 78 to 97 years old, they died and their brains were
removed for our neuropathologic studies. Linguistic ability in early life
was measured by the idea (proposition) density of the autobiographies,
i.e., a standard measure of the content of ideas in text samples. Idea
density scores from early life had strong inverse correlations with the
severity of Alzheimer's disease pathology in the neocortex: Correlations
between idea density scores and neurofibrillary tangle counts were -0.59
for the frontal lobe, -0.48 for the temporal lobe, and -0.49 for the
parietal lobe (all p values < 0.0001). Idea density scores were unrelated
to the severity of atherosclerosis of the major arteries at the base of
the brain and to the presence of lacunar and large brain infarcts. Low
linguistic ability in early life may reflect suboptimal neurological and
cognitive development, which might increase susceptibility to the
development of Alzheimer's disease pathology in late life.

And:

J Am Geriatr Soc. 1996 Jun;44(6):675-81.

Age, education, and changes in the Mini-Mental State Exam scores of older
women: findings from the Nun Study.

Butler SM, Ashford JW, Snowdon DA.

Sanders-Brown Center on Aging, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40536-
0230, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To describe the relationship of Mini-Mental State Exam (MMSE)
scores and changes over time in MMSE scores to age and education in a
population of older women. DESIGN: A prospective study of a defined
population. SETTING: Various motherhouses and church-run health care
facilities in the Eastern, Midwestern, and Southern regions of the United
States. PARTICIPANTS: Catholic sisters (nuns) participating in the Nun
Study, a study of aging and Alzheimer's Disease. The 678 participants
were 75 to 102 years old (mean 83.3, standard deviation 5.5, median 82.3)
at the time of the first functional assessment. Second assessments were
obtained an average of 1.6 years later on 575 survivors. MEASUREMENTS:
The outcome variables were MMSE scores at the first assessment (Time-
one), and MMSE scores at the second assessment (Time-two). The
independent variables were age at Time-one, and education (bachelor's
degree or no bachelor's degree). RESULTS: Time-one MMSE scores decreased
with age at Time-one. The decrease in MMSE scores with age was less in
sisters with bachelor's degrees than in sisters without bachelor's
degrees. The changes in MMSE scores had a "U-shaped" relationship with
Time-one score, where the greatest declines occurred in sisters with
intermediate Time-one scores. Stratified analysis by age, education, and
Time-one MMSE scores of 20 or greater because of the small numbers of
sisters with Time-one scores less than 20. In sisters with Time-one MMSE
scores in the categories 20 to 23, 24 to 26, or 27 to 30, older ages at
Time-one were associated with greater decline in those with bachelor's
degrees, but not in those without bachelor's degrees. Also, lower
education was associated with greater decline in sisters aged 75 to 84
years at Time-one, but this education effect disappeared or reversed in
sisters who were 85 years of age or older at Time-one. CONCLUSIONS:
Cognitive function as measured by the MMSE decreased with age at Time-
one, most steeply as a function of age in those without bachelor's
degrees. Cognitive function declined over 1.6 years within individuals,
and the extent of decline increased with age in the sisters with
bachelor's degrees. The extent of decline varied with age and education
in an interactive manner, which may have been attributable to a hardy
survivor effect in lower educated sisters. It may be necessary to
consider such interactions whenever changes in function are studied,
particularly when analyses are stratified by the initial level of
function.

"KP_PC" <k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net> wrote in news:OLBKa.22599
$3o3.1730234 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net: