IUBio

Conductivity

J Zijlstra jw53z at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 27 07:31:23 EST 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:21:20 GMT, "KP_PC"
<k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>It's not so clear-cut.
>
>Any and all Learning enables a nervous system
>to do stuff, using the 'same' energy throughput,
>that it could not prior to the Learning.
>
>The easiest case is to compare present-day
>Science students with their counterparts
>a couple of hundred years ago.
>
>Both work hard, but present-day Students
>can do stuff with the 'same' energy
>expenditure, =in terms of problem-solving=,
>that their historical counterparts could not do.
>
>There's definitely a 'trade-off', though.
>
>Present-day Students tend not to grasp
>the 'big picture' - tend not to see fundamental
>'big-ness'.
>
>An example of the ramifications of such is
>that, superficially, present-day Wars last
>weeks, instead of years, but they tend
>to 'simmer'-unresolved as in the Middle
>East, and Korea, and, now, Iraq, and with
>respect to other global 'angst' that's being
>'dealt-with' via 'quickness' that never even
>addresses the underpinning wellspring-
>stuff - the Fundamentals.
>
>Energy has been diverted into Learned
>'expediences', at the cost of becoming
>relatively 'blind' to the Big-Picture.
>
>The same is True with respect to the
>way 'specialization' occurs within 'modern'
>Science - folks Learn their specializations,
>but cannot See the Big-Picture.
>
>In my own experience, I can do a lot of
>work almost 'instantaneously' in Neuro-
>science, but there's been a great-'cost'
>in my 'personal-life' to attain that problem-
>solving capacity.
>
>So, with respect to individual nervous
>systems, it's probably always in this
>trade-off way.
>
>With respect to Humanity as a whole,
>however, it is clear-cut.
>
>A Book Written enables all of Humanity
>to Progress.
>
>'Course, the Book must be read :-]
>
>If you rephrase your question in terms
>of Potential-Intelligence, it's also clear-
>cut.
>
>Potential-Intelligence and Actualized-
>Intelligence are 'horses of a different
>color' ["volitional diminishing-returns
>decision" threshold, AoK, Ap7.]
>
>I don't care to discuss further.
>
>K. P. Collins

I'll agree with most of it.

I suspect that a social life does do something to someones intellect
and that discussions about science or in some parts of the word there
neighbors are part of that but I think thats clear already.

Perhaps there are readers that do see the big picture or parts of it
at least. You obviously were able to describe reality but as for
iraq, not yet able to explain the solution I suspect that was the
thing you were explaining and it was exactly one thing I would liked
to see explained to me on the brain but with the current state of
development included, the discussion on how it would have been
possible to realize could have followed.

I do hope someone continue's this discussion...

J. Zijlstra