Soy Neurotoxicity?

Tim Tyler tim at nospam.com
Wed Oct 8 11:56:18 EST 2003

Survivor wrote:

> Does this mean you might continue to have concern about food-grade soy
> protein powders, soy lecithin, etc.? What about soybean oil? The
> consumer really has no way to evaluate the care with which such
> products are produced.

Personally I eat very few bean-based products.  When I do eat them,
it tends to be peas, lentils, and fava beans - in moderation - and
I tend to prefer eating bean greenery to eating the beans themselves.

I don't eat any protein powders, and I don't eat egg or soy-derived
lecithin - so I have not looked into these much.

AFAICS, soybean oil won't have much in the way of phytoestrogens in
it.

It is a popular cooking oil - but I don't do cooking with oil.

I'm not immediately attracted by the idea of eating bean oils;
though as fats I don't see a great deal wrong with them.

Soy oil does contain phytosterols.  I would want to learn more about
their properties before consuming much soy oil.

> (Note that breast cancer patients are also advised to avoid soy
> products, presumably to avoid plant estrogens which might stimulate
> growth of hormone-responsive cancer cells.)

Perhaps erring on the side of caution:

``In spite of initial optimism, it is not clear whether eating
   foods rich in phytoestrogens decreases breast cancer risk. This is
   an active area of research with much work needed to resolve
   this issue.

  - http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/FactSheet/Diet/fs1.phyto.cfm

``Whether soy can help protect against breast cancer in
   post-menopausal women is unclear at this time.''

  - http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/soy.asp