pseudo-solid Water [was Re: The Black-Body Power Spectrum [___]]

KP_PC k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 10 16:56:07 EST 2003

news:Mhrhb.175006$3o3.12934736 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

| Another experiment that 'you' =really=
| have to do.
|
| When I went over to mow Dad's lawn
| this afternoon, the grass was pretty-high,
| but I had my trusty Honda [tm] Harmony [tm]
| mower that has a hydrostatic transmission
| [I bought it for Dad when I was actually gainfully
| employed]. It has a Hydrostatic [tm?] transmis-
| sion - so I could vary its forward [motion]
| nonlinearly :-] when the grass got thick.
|
| The NL-P is everywhere.
|
| Then, because it was probably the last 'time'
| I'll use it this year, I washed the mower care-
| fully, leaving it running as I did so [so any
| water that splashed into places where it's
| better for water not to go would evaporate -
| WDB2T you know].
|
| And that's when the 'experiment' showed
| itself to me.
|
| There was water collected in a shallow
| 'well' on the top of the [m]ower-deck. It was
| about 1/4-inch deep. The mower was
| running at full-power, and water-'oscillons'
| formed on it's 'surface'.
|
| These water-'oscillons' were =SPECTACULAR=,
| looking like all kinds of 'rigid' geometrical
| shapes.

They looked, literally, like they had ;solidified
in the water - as if the water had 'frozen' - un-
dergone a phase-change.

It's the NL-P :-]

The shape of the mower's deck [the form that
covers and protects the user from the blade's
forceful rotation] probably had a lot to do with it -
the deck probably formed a 'convex lens' - but
the water-'oscillons' were vibrating so rapidly that
they apeared to be 'solid'.

[If 'your' mower's deck doesn't produce the
phenomenon, and you don't know anyone with
a Honda Harmony [walk-behind, vintage ~~1995
[I recently shopped for a new blade, and found that
the blade Geometry on newer models had changed,
so, perhaps the deck Geometry on newer models
has also changed - I ended-up sharpening my old
blade to save the $], I'll gladly crank mine up for
'you'. I'll even supply the water :-]

And, man-oh-man! Their Geometry was =spectac-
ular=. There were all sorts of spectacularly-facetted
shapes - 'pyramids', 3-D 'rhombusses' [which actually
extended more than 1/8-inch above the surface of
the surrounding water, and, at their upper extents,
were actually 'jutting' over the water below - like
radically-cut saw teeth - only, distributed one-here-
one-there [not in a sequence like on a Carpenter's
hand-saw's blade]. 'cubes', etc.

Seeing this spectacular Geometry in what I knew
was liquid-phase water almost knocked me on
my butt :-]

It was somewhat like a miniature version of the
frozen secret hide-away of Superman in one of
the Christopher Reeve movies [only the 'crystals'
stood-alone rather than sliding against one an-
other like in the movie [except in the 'fractured-
glass', 'shallower-water', region where the 'crys-
talization' formed a 'flat' 'sheet' - like a fractured,
but still macroscopically-intact automobile wind-
shield]].

The water-'oscillons' typically had 'sharp' edges -
just like Geometrical 'ideals', but had 3-D Geom-
etries that were 'exotic'.

Viewing them literally took my breath away.

I knew this was liquid-phase water, yet, these
'crystals' were so seemingly-'solid' that it was
as if my visual-sensation was 'hit by a sledge-
hammer' - way-'unfamiliar'.

But it all got Real-'Familiar', Real-Quick.

TD E/I(down, down)->"True reward" [AoK, Ap5]->
Recognition.

"It's the NL-P!" :-]

Such a Beautiful [and informative] Instance!

| On another area of the mower deck, where
| the water was shallower, the water formed
| what looked like a 'sheet' of fractured glass,
| with the 'fractures' being extremely-stable.
|
| What was happening was that the mower's
| vibrations were driving the water nonlinearly,
| which resulted in =Exactly= the same sort of
| nonlinear energy spreading into lower-freq-
| uency 'ranges' that I discussed in the BB
| app's 'notes' [TGLk :-]
|
| =Do= this experiment. It's =easy= to do, and
| it's Observables are spectacular.
| [...]

[TGLk - I was 'feeling-alone' yesterday. Thank You
for 'poking me in the ribs', reminding me that I'm
never really 'alone'. "I love you, too."]

kpc