the obesity epidemic and overeating, overweight kids

Dag Stenberg dag.stenberg at nospam.helsinki.fi.invalid
Thu Oct 16 11:13:06 EST 2003

James Michael Howard <jmhoward at arkansas.net> wrote:
> Mr. Stenberg, thank you for your response.  What you presented makes good sense.
> However, I wish to push the explanation back just a step.  Testosterone reduces
> melatonin, which produces sleep.  Melatonin suppresses leptin.  Therefore,
> testosterone reduces leptin itself and reduces melatonin which reduces leptin.

1. Where do you find any evidence that testosterone reduces melatonin?
Melatonin does reduce testosterone in rats, but the other way around??

2. Melatonin is a weak and unreliable hypnotic, and its role in
physiological sleep regulation is in doubt.

3. I agree that melatonin reduces leptin in some mammals (like
middle-aged rats), but increases leptin in minks.
In postmenopausal women, melatonin does not affect leptin levels. I am
not aware of other studies of the effect of melatonin on leptin in humans.

Dag Stenberg