Food for Thought

Des Small des.small at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Oct 28 09:26:10 EST 2003

"KP_PC" <k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net> writes:

> I've been receiving sporadic attacks for years, but, in the case of
> the one that I refer to as "malicious', someone obviously set up a
> machine for the express purpose of attacking my machine via email. I
> watched it run for most of a day. It was sending stuff to my email
> account that was, 'supposedly' from Microsoft Corp. - but, by
> corporate policy, Microsoft doesn't send 'updates' via email, so I
> knew it was a Fraud. It was, apparently, done via a slow connection,
> because it took most of a day to send 343 attacking packages.

Lots of people have had this - a machine holding usenet email
addresses (presumably for spamming purposes) seems to have been hit by
a worm, with hilarious consequences.  I was getting >100 a day at the
peak of the worm.

Des
uses a real email client and therefore coped OK.
--
"[T]he structural trend in linguistics which took root with the
International Congresses of the twenties and early thirties [...] had