Correlation Tics and Intelligence?

J C null at nowhere.net
Tue Oct 28 16:03:35 EST 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:33:17 GMT, "KP_PC"
<k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>which, if the person
>holds-it-together, routinely results in behavioral
>manifestations that are 'deemed' to 'signify'
>'enhanced intelligence'.
>
>The 'deeming' is Falsely-ascribed, however.

Interesting thought, which I will not for the moment try to argue
against.

However, in the cases I've seen, there is no "deeming" going on.

In these cases intelligence has been measure through standardized
testing. The IQ of each child is very high (upper 2% of the population
range). Two of the kids have been subjected to EEG and the documented
neurologic disturbance yielded no specific clinical diagnosis
(epilepsy was being investigated).

Now bear with me... there are a lot of movement disorders, some are
quite severe (epilepsy, Tourette's, etc), but there are also some very
mild variants (like the benigh familial type). Additionally,
concerning these mild variants, the reports in the literature and in
textbooks indicate that the symptoms and signs are indistinct and
comparison of various sources indicate will show that there is much
confusion about their classification (different sources even name them
differently).

So my question really is whether tics (and the associated clinical
labels) are related to IQ. What I'm trying to get at is that tics in
childhood may be a manifestation of the "over-developed" brain.

As an example, I read in The Bell Curve that people of Jewish descent
tend to have, on average, high IQ's. I also remember reading that
there is a elevated incidence of epilepsy in the Jewish population.
I'm not really concerned about epilepsy and am only using that as an
example because it is part of the differential diagnosis of "tics." I
am more interested in the more clinically ill-defined movement
disorders aka "tics" aka myoclonus (as well as the nebulously defined
"benigh familial" type) and whether they have been correlated to high
IQs.

With all the various types and degrees of movement disorders I was
hoping someone somewhere had done some work with what I believe is a
unique population.

I'm not looking for speculation. I was hoping someone knew of clinical
research. PubMed does have articles on "tics and intelligence" and
varous other key word searches but generally these reports are of
studies done on patients that have definitive diagnoses of some of the
severe disorders. That's not really what I'm after.

-- JC