Correlation Tics and Intelligence?

J C null at nowhere.net
Thu Oct 30 12:55:35 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:19:15 GMT, "KP_PC"
<k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I stand on what I posted.
>
>The main 'problem' has been that prevailing
>notions of "intelligence" have 'ignored' the
>fact that problem-solving capacity is rigorously-
>coupled to experience, and is driven, up or
>down, accordingly.
>
>The case you've brought up falls squarely with-
>in this main consideration, for the reason that
>I discussed in my pior post.
>
>ken [k. p. collins]

You seem to be saying that IQ can be learned through experience and
enhanced and thus a person can increase their score on a standardized
IQ test. However we all know that there are people that no matter how
much experience you give them still find even simple tasks impossible.
We also know that highly intelligent people can practice by taking as
many IQ tests as they want, but that their scores do not substantially
improve over time.

Therefore, I firmly contend that experience knowledge, although
linked, is different than the innate processing power of a given human
brain. (Didn't I read that Einstein's brain was studied and found to
have more neurons than the average brain?)

I'm contending that this processing power is directly related to the
way the brain is "wired."

Therefore my question is whether tics are also part of this wiring
scheme and brain development in highly intelligent people.

I'm not saying all tics, I'm wondering if there's some subset. And
whether this subset of benign tics has been found to exist with a
higher incidence in the highly intelligent.

A search of PubMed doesn't seem to indicate that the problem has ever
been looked at from that direction. But I believe it is a question
worth asking.

I realize that you may not agree. That's fine. I may be totally off
base. But until your or my opinion is confirmed by scientific
investigations, we'll never know.

-- JC