Can a haircut cause brain damage?

NMF neil.fournier at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 30 19:22:00 EST 2003

Not sure if my response was posted earlier (here it is):

Sorry I did not respond to your earlier request for cited reference to the
epileptic triggers during haircutting or scalp stimulation connection.  (I
was attending a conference).  The J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry (either 2001
or 2002?) reference was one that I was referring too.  (I do not believe it
is a common occurrence and has only been reported a few times in the
literature).  I have seen mention of it in a rather expensive
medical/neurology textbook  Epilepsy: a comprehensive textbook by ed. Engel
and ed. Pedley  (in one of the three volumes but I can't remember which
one).  Also an extremely old book, Clinical Treatise of the Diseases of the
Nervous System by Rosenthal (from 1879), mentioned seizure occurrence while
men were having haircuts and/or beard trims.  The link isn't all that
surprising when one considers the dense interconnections between the dentate
gyrus and hippocampal formation (a relatively unstable and "epileptic" prone
region in most limbic/temporal lobe epileptic patients) with the ventral
tier thalamic structures (an area innervated by afferents containing
propioceptive and "touch" signals as they ascend along the neuroaxis before
finally reaching areas 1,2,3 or area 4). The current concept is that
stimulation of the ventral tier or associated regions of the thalamus could
end up eliciting greater stimulation to already electrically labile limbic
regions causing bouts of epileptiform activity to trigger (the typical
connection between these structures is generally in inhibitory and
progressive break down in this inhibitory process can lead to disinhibition
or "excitation").

NMF