IUBio

the liver and the brain

Lester Zick lesterDELzick at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 1 10:58:53 EST 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:08:20 -0400, "Glen M. Sizemore"
<gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com> in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:

[. . .]

>             That doesn't mean that the genetics are sufficient. You could
>observe a million rats for a million years in a million operant chambers
>with a million levers requiring a static force higher than the animal's body
>weight and never see a single lever press. But I could produce one in a week
>or two.

You're quite the remarkable fellow, Glen. Rather funny considering
that most could produce one in a second or two given the appropriate
intention.

>            Has "learning" taken place, Ray? (I include the scare quotes around
>learning for reasons that I won't much go into given your, ummm, limited
>ability to profit from what someone smarter than you says.

You include the scare quotes to avoid being cited as a reference on
things, such as learning or the mind, you know next to nothing about,
or as a reference on being smarter than those you choose to insult
gratuitously. Quite clever really.

>                                                                                                  Suffice it to say
>that there are certain sorts of variables in the ontogenic history of
>animals that can be shown, beyond a shadow of a doubt, to alter behavior -
>some of these variables are considered to be the domain of "associative
>learning," others the related domain of motivation and emotion, etc.)

Yes. Most significant among these ontogenic variables are subjective
intentions. Evolution has led to development of subjective intentions,
the mind, and mental effects as the inevitable and natural outcome of
speciation and natural selection.

Regards - Lester