IUBio

the liver and the brain

Wolf Kirchmeir wwolfkir at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 1 14:32:10 EST 2004

Lester Zick wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 12:02:36 -0400, Wolf Kirchmeir
> <wwolfkir at sympatico.ca> in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:
>

>>Lester Zick wrote:
>>

>>>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:08:20 -0400, "Glen M. Sizemore"
>>><gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com> in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:
>>>
>>>[. . .]

>>>You're quite the remarkable fellow, Glen. Rather funny considering
>>>that most could produce one in a second or two given the appropriate
>>>intention.
>>
>>Have you found a way of producing an intention in a rat?
>>
>>Just asking.
>

> I leave that to evolution, rats, and people who train them.
>
> What's more troubling, Wolf, is that you routinely edit and delete the
> very parts of posts which provide answers to the questions you ask.
>
> Regards - Lester

There was nothing in the rest of your post that said anytning sueful
about intentions. heck, I can't even figure otu what you mean by
"intention." the best I can can come up with " a plan to do something."
I can see no way on knwing whether any system, biological or artificial,
has a plan until it does something. Eveen thne, it's not clear whwther
any given action proceeded from a plan.

The context of your remarks was Glen's claim that he could shape a rat's
bahviour so that it could press a lever that required more force than
the rat's own body weight. He said it would take a couple of hours. Your
counterclaim was that you could do it in a couple of seconds, by means
of the rat's "intention." What you nowhere described was how you would
produce an intention in the rat. Hence my question. If I missed your
description, sorry - kindly quote the relevant passage (I save no messages.)