IUBio

the liver and the brain

Glen M. Sizemore gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 11:52:10 EST 2004

AG: There is a genuine problem here. Some contributors are seeking a
physical description of experience.

GS: Do they also seek a physical description of life? Good luck.

AG: You seem to look around you and believe that what you experience is the
things in themselves yet I have seen no indication from you about how this
could work using physics.

GS: There is very little about the macroscopic world that can be explained
by "physics." Your problem, like so many others, is that you think that you
are allowed to invent meanings to satisfy your assumptions. The usage of the
term "seeing," for example, clearly shows that what we see is the world.
That is what the word means. But you want to insist that it "really" means
that we are seeing representations. When the seeing occurs without something
"there," we call it dreaming, or imagining, or hallucinating.

AG: You must be aware that experience is a 'view', it does not
have the same form as things 'out there' yet you offer no explanation
for this view.

GS: Perceiving is behavior, and it is a function of the current setting and
one's history.

AG: If you have a theory of experience please describe how the 'view'
occurs. How can experience appear to be a set of things laid out in space
and viewed as if from a point eye.

GS: There is an important sense in which we see only what we are fixating
on. Change in the periphery elicits (probably) a saccade.

AG: Please describe the physics of how this phenomenon (or illusion) occurs.

GS: Why don't you clue us in as to how to "reduce" biological phenomena to
"physics."