IUBio

the liver and the brain

r norman rsn_ at _comcast.net
Thu Sep 2 12:48:31 EST 2004

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:14:34 -0400, Traveler <traveler at nospam.com>
wrote:

>In article <haeej0957quoc19rv0hr4g3q83jqllhjap at 4ax.com>, r norman
><rsn_ at _comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:31:45 -0400, Traveler <traveler at nospam.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>My experience is that neuroscientists, in general, have no sense of
>>>humor.
>>
>>We do when someone actually says something funny.
>
>No surprise here. By the way, norman, do you understand the neural
>mechanism of motor learning and coordination?

Here are some appropriate review articles:

  Sanes, Neocortical mechanisms in motor learning.
  Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2003 Apr;13(2):225-31.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12744978

  Ito,  Mechanisms of motor learning in the cerebellum
  Brain Res. 2000 Dec 15;886(1-2):237-245.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11119699

  Hikosaka,  Basal ganglia--possible role in motor coordination
     and learning.
  Curr Opin Neurobiol. 1991 Dec;1(4):638-43

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1822310

  Hikosaka et al, Central mechanisms of motor skill learning.
  Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2002 Apr;12(2):217-22.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12015240

  So far we have neocortex, cerebellum, and basal ganglia.  Is there
one single mechanism of motor learning?  I think not.  Do I understand
the various mechanisms?  Not off the top of my head, but I can read
these and learn.

(Or, perhaps,, was that really a "funny" to test my sense of humor?)