IUBio

the liver and the brain

Traveler traveler at nospam.com
Thu Sep 2 13:13:15 EST 2004

In article <zv63kZKYr1NBFwjh at longley.demon.co.uk>, David Longley
<David at longley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I'll say it again - you are neglecting what research in neuroscience is
>and always has been dependent upon - the careful management and
>measurement of *behaviour*.

If, by behavior, you mean the observable external behavior of the
organism whose nervous system is being examined, I have to disagree. A
lot of research in neuroscience is not at all dependent on external
behavior. Heck, a lot of it is conducted in vitro. But if you mean the
internal behavior (input/output, action potentials) of single neurons
or even cell assemblies, I agree that neuroscience is dependent on
behavior in this general sense of the term. But then again, very few
fields of science are exempt from this general rule.

Louis Savain

Artificial Intelligence From the Bible:
http://users.adelphia.net/~lilavois/Seven/bible.html

The Silver Bullet or How to Solve the Software Crisis:
http://users.adelphia.net/~lilavois/Cosas/Reliability.htm