IUBio

the liver and the brain

dan michaels feedbackdroids at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 15:56:56 EST 2004

r norman <rsn_ at _comcast.net> wrote in message news:<ge1dj0111j3l0cssuovuaqhhu7cvh092h1 at 4ax.com>...
> On 1 Sep 2004 18:58:10 -0700, feedbackdroids at yahoo.com (dan michaels)
> wrote:
>
> >r norman <rsn_ at _comcast.net> wrote in message news:<p81cj0dpssidqvd146ckens4c5hss9t0tb at 4ax.com>...
> >

> >> The evidence is quite clear.  There is good, hard experimental data to
> >> prove that genetically determined motor pattern generating circuits do
> >> exist in mammals in general and humans in particular.  There is also
> >> good, hard experimental data to prove that experience and synaptic
> >> modification is usually necessary to make these circuits function
> >> appropriately to produce useful, responsive, and adaptive behavior in
> >> the functioning organism.
> >>

> >Thanks for all the references. It'll take a while to get through them.
> >Your summary doesn't help much, however, as it doesn't distinquish
> >between ungulates which run within minutes of being born as compared
> >to humans which take a year or so to make it to pokey walking. Off to
> >the abstracts.
>
> Not those particular two, a  rather unusual contrast.  However
> Lossi et al has something close enough, saying: "In this study we have
> investigated the histogenesis of the cerebellar cortex in guinea pig
> (a precocial species) and rabbit (an altricial species) at different
> stages of pregnancy and postnatal life."
>
> I believe the key words you need are altricial and precocial which
> describes exactly the difference you mention,  not ungulate and human.

In answer to both of your replies, I specifically picked ungulates
because they *are* so much more advanced than humans AT BIRTH. It
takes human babies a year or so before their brains are wired up enuf
to both walk and to see. IE, babies apparently have to "learn to see"
- which to a large extent involves making connections between the
properties of objects regards both modalities - vision and touch.
Human babies don't appear born already able to distinquish a general
object from a general background - although there is some evidence
they do respond to faces, smiles, etc, to some extent. As you
mentioned, these things take practice. As Piaget studied, human
sensorimotor response develops in stages over the course of the 1st
year.

In contrast, since ungulates pop out into the world being able to walk
and run within hours, I was also wondering that their visual systems
might also be similarly advanced, as compard to humans and other
animals like you mentioned. Do they have to "learn" what a lion looks,
or might their visual systems already have some hard-coding regards
this?