IUBio

the liver and the brain

Traveler traveler at nospam.com
Thu Sep 2 15:57:09 EST 2004

In article <5rlej0h6a8g1t9g7o4udfa4b5675kedklp at 4ax.com>, r norman
<rsn_ at _comcast.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:14:34 -0400, Traveler <traveler at nospam.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <haeej0957quoc19rv0hr4g3q83jqllhjap at 4ax.com>, r norman
>><rsn_ at _comcast.net> wrote:

>>>We do when someone actually says something funny.
>>
>>No surprise here. By the way, norman, do you understand the neural
>>mechanism of motor learning and coordination?
>>

>Here are some appropriate review articles:
>
>  Sanes, Neocortical mechanisms in motor learning.
>  Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2003 Apr;13(2):225-31.
>
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12744978
>
>  Ito,  Mechanisms of motor learning in the cerebellum
>  Brain Res. 2000 Dec 15;886(1-2):237-245.
>
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11119699
>
>  Hikosaka,  Basal ganglia--possible role in motor coordination
>     and learning.
>  Curr Opin Neurobiol. 1991 Dec;1(4):638-43
>
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1822310
>
>  Hikosaka et al, Central mechanisms of motor skill learning.
>  Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2002 Apr;12(2):217-22.
>
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12015240

Thanks for the links.

>  So far we have neocortex, cerebellum, and basal ganglia.  Is there
>one single mechanism of motor learning?  I think not.

Well, of course. There is also the hippocampus which plays a major
role in attentional (conscious) motor sequence generation in
conjunction with the temporal lobes. The cerebellum, however, is a
supervised network used strictly for automatic control. It is not used
for voluntary motor control like the basal ganglia.

> Do I understand
>the various mechanisms?  Not off the top of my head, but I can read
>these and learn.

None of the links you listed above (or, for that matter, no reference
you can provide) has an understanding of the neural mechanism of motor
coordination and learning. I guarantee you that. They may have some
neurobiological understanding of the various pathways between the cell
assemblies but nobody undertands the underlying principles (yet).

>(Or, perhaps,, was that really a "funny" to test my sense of humor?)

Nope. But did you know that there are two types of motor conflicts in
the brain? No need to go search on the web. You will not find them in
the litterature.

Louis Savain

Artificial Intelligence From the Bible:
http://users.adelphia.net/~lilavois/Seven/bible.html

The Silver Bullet or How to Solve the Software Crisis:
http://users.adelphia.net/~lilavois/Cosas/Reliability.htm