IUBio

First Causes

Traveler traveler at nospam.com
Tue Sep 7 08:06:12 EST 2004

In article <413d7c50$0$62362$5fc3050 at dreader2.news.tiscali.nl>, "JPL
Verhey" <matterDELminds at hotmail.com> wrote:

>"dan michaels" <feedbackdroids at yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:8d8494cf.0409062130.a4e0845 at posting.google.com...
>>> The only cause which supplies its own proof as first cause is the idea
>>> of differences and cognates of differences: negation, contradiction,
>>> not, etc. and that principle compounded in terms of itself. Neither
>>> Aristotle's prime mover unmoved nor god is proven of itself. Nor are
>>> evolution and the natural selection of species proven with respect to
>>> the categories and transitions between the categories.
>>

>> The other equally ridiculous idea that you left out is the fairly
>> recent idea that nothing exists i nthe unvierse without mind making it
>> so, and that the mind is somehow wrapped up in quantum physics. Some
>> such gooblediegook.
>
>Yet this notion is absolutely correct in the sense that any conscious
>experience - from thoughts and emotions to objects seen around you in the
>world "out there" including stars and galaxies - are all brain process -
>out of convenience called mind - and occuring within your own skull.

I thought that your own skull was also "out there." IOW, if nothing
exists but what's in your mind, does your mind also exist within your
mind? This is the sort of self-referential problems associated with
extreme solipsism.

As an aside, this is the same sort of illogical self-referential
nonsense that Godel used to come up with his incompleteness theorem.
Which really is not a theorem since it is obviously hogwash. That a
raving lunatic like Godel (a time travel believer) was elevated to the
status of a god and worshipped by so many "bright" folks is a sad
commentary on the sorry state of modern scientific philosophy and of
science in general. Underneath, it's just a house of cards.

Louis Savain

Artificial Intelligence From the Bible:
http://users.adelphia.net/~lilavois/Seven/bible.html

The Silver Bullet or How to Solve the Software Crisis:
http://users.adelphia.net/~lilavois/Cosas/Reliability.htm