IUBio

Craniotomy/Apasia creating loss of fluency in one language, but not another?

John Hasenkam johnh at faraway.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Sep 8 19:03:43 EST 2004

Yes, there are cases of varying asphasia in individuals, I even have one
reference where a bilingual individual will involuntarily start speaking in
his second language. Have some refs on this in my archives, will dig up in a
few days and post.

John.

09/09/04 10:02AM

> An unusual case of sundown syndrome subsequent to a
> traumatic head injury.
>
> Duckett S, Scotto M.
>
> Bryn Mawr Rehabilitation Hospital, Malvern, PA 19355.
>
> An unusual case of sundown syndrome is here reported, in > which a
bilingual patient would involuntarily change > languages at sunset. Numerous
theories have been advanced > in attempting to account for sundowning.
Cameron has > suggested that nocturnal delirium was based on an > inability
to maintain a spatial image without the > assistance of repeated
visualization. Kral and Wolanin > and Phillips have argued for a more
psychogenic account, > by stating that psychosocial stressors may, in
concert > with impaired cognitive functioning, account for > sundowning. The
present case concerns a 42-year-old white > male who in January 1989
suffered a closed head injury. A > thorough personal history as well as a
detailed > examination of the patient's daily activities allowed us > to
account for the unusual manner in which the sundowning > manifested itself.
The uniqueness of this case allows us > to underscore both the psychological
as well as > environmental and neurological factors involved in >
sundowning. Thus, we have as a consequence been able to > synthesize the
seemingly disparate accounts of both > Cameron and more recent published
literature.

news:njvrj095dptuvm5opqbu3cn3p8emdusspk at 4ax.com...