IUBio

Neuroscience and Music

Wade Helquist helquist at comcast.net
Sat Sep 11 11:39:09 EST 2004

> I recently (this February>  I had "scar tissue"; around 3/4 of a
> "twinkie"; removed from my right temporal lobe; including the
amygdala &
> hippocampus. I didn't drink or smoke & was right handed pre-op. Now I

> drink (almost to excess), accept any herb that's offered, and I am
left
> handed. I also have better short term memory, better sense of balance

> (unless I drink or smoke too much), keep the beat much better now
(with
> the left hand & foot); less fear (much beter on ladders/roofs/tubular

> full-body MRI's). My music appreciation/enjoyment is much better now.
> Yes I realize these functions are "reverse hemisphere" controlled,
and
> that I'm missing a  sizable chunk of the _right_ one. My paradigm is
> that by removing the scar tissue, it allowed the opening of neural
> pathways from the heretofore stunted ones. I also had problems pre-op

> recognizing people I knew. I would recognize my wife from the
shoulders
> done; by the jacket, purse and shoes she wore, but not by looking at
her
> face. That too has improved. (Unless I'm ignoring her. <grin>)

Wow I found that all very interesting, with the brain surgury affected
you that much! Going to left to right and all that. Recently I've been
having strange vertigo where I see everything downhill. doctors aren't
sure what is wrong. I too will need an MRI in about a week and 1/2.  It
will be interesting to see what they find out.