IUBio

Neuroscience and Music

Andrew T. Austin andrewaustin at 23NLPeople.com
Sat Sep 11 11:45:08 EST 2004

> I recently (this February>  I had "scar tissue"; around 3/4 of a
> "twinkie"; removed from my right temporal lobe; including the amygdala &
> hippocampus. I didn't drink or smoke & was right handed pre-op. Now I
> drink (almost to excess), accept any herb that's offered, and I am left
> handed. I also have better short term memory, better sense of balance
> (unless I drink or smoke too much), keep the beat much better now (with
> the left hand & foot); less fear (much beter on ladders/roofs/tubular
> full-body MRI's). My music appreciation/enjoyment is much better now.
> Yes I realize these functions are "reverse hemisphere" controlled, and
> that I'm missing a  sizable chunk of the _right_ one. My paradigm is
> that by removing the scar tissue, it allowed the opening of neural
> pathways from the heretofore stunted ones. I also had problems pre-op
> recognizing people I knew. I would recognize my wife from the shoulders
> done; by the jacket, purse and shoes she wore, but not by looking at her
> face. That too has improved. (Unless I'm ignoring her. <grin>)

Hi,

Any chance you could email me direct.  I'd love to ask you more questions
about this as part of a project i`m working on (see website below).

Thanks,

Regards,

Andrew T. Austin
still alive in Southampton, UK
____________________
NLP, Neurology, Schizophrenia:  http://www.23NLPeople.com
Phantom Limb Pain:  http://www.PhantomLimb.org.uk

"Survival-conducive diverse experience drives neural activation in a
commensurately-diverse fashion, which, because neuronal microscopic
trophic modifications occur in a way that 'reflects' the neural
activation that actually occurs, generates diverse neuronal
microscopic modifications, which simultaneously preserves
relatively-more neurons, and allows TD E/I-minimized convergence
among them to occur in commensurately more ways."

Kenneth Collins during a lighter moment on bionet.neuroscience