IUBio

minature inhibitor postsynaptic currents

r norman rsn_ at _comcast.net
Thu Sep 16 08:04:13 EST 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:39:30 GMT, BilZ0r
<BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com> wrote:

>What is minature about mIPSCs? I assume just the amplitude, but there must
>be something about their nature that makes them different from regular
>evoked and/or sponatneous IPSCs.

mIPSCs, just like mIPSPs or mEPSPs, are presumed to be the response to
the spontaneous release of single vesicles at a synapse.  Regular
evoked responses (current or potential, excitatory or inhibitory) are,
as described, evoked ordinarily by an action potential arriving at the
presynaptic terminal and are not miniature because they ordinarily
result from the simultaneous release of many vesicles.

Mini's are spontaneous.  The original discovery by Katz was of
"spontaneous miniature potentials".  They are usually called minis
rather than sponties.