IUBio

[Neuroscience] Re: Pharmacological induced "spontaneous" activity in vitro.

Bill connelly.bill at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 19:28:18 EST 2006

Voltage clamp the cells and you'll see that the neurons are far from
silent. mIPSCs make up about half of the 2-4hz of spontaneous IPSCs
recieved by deep layer neurons, and although I've never made a
systematic count, I suspect action potential dependent Excitatory
events also impact on cells at about 1-2Hz.

Block excitation and I suspect this will start to increase massively.

Also, I've noted a marginal tonic GABA current in pyramidal neurons, so
removing that is going to slightly tonically depolarize neurons.