IUBio

[Neuroscience] possible to record individual neuron impulses?

Neda Haj-Hosseini maneda2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 19 05:53:57 EST 2006

In addition to what Norman mentioned, microneedles (thicker and shorter than microwires) are also being developed. A publication based on these needles was published in Nature recently.

  There is also a type of surface microelectrode which lies on the surface of brain but still opening the skull is required here and it can be used just for the superficial neurons.

  Microneedles are again very invasive but regarding your question on using nanotechnology for recording, you will find this article interesting. A similar question to yours on a less invasive way has lead to making nanowires which can be pumped to brain through blood circulatory system. There is way to go in this method .

  Another point is the capabilities of these electrodes. Even if you have some non invasive choices they might not work for all kinds of recordings so soon. So sometimes you will have no other choice than to use the invasive electrodes.

nospam8 at rogers.com wrote:  thanks for your reply.

I wonder if there is any research into applying nanotechnology to
reduce the invasiveness of this procedure, and potentially record a
group of neurons at the same time