IUBio

[Neuroscience] Re: Recovering from AVM surgery?

John H. j_hasenkam at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 21 13:57:07 EST 2006

Thanks Mitch.

Some basic facts and no promises:

People with high iq, particularly combined with determination, will
generally have a much better outcome than the norms in brain injury
cases.

Any sort of cns trauma can induce global effects throughout the brain.
Given the lack of evidence of specific trauma that you mention below,
well that's better than the contrary but can't be taken as definitive.
Still a good sign though.

Cerebral trauma of most kinds can generate global responses that will
take time to change.

There have been some remarkable recoveries, but no promises. I suggest
you start looking around the net for some resources and thinking about
finding a local support group, the hospital will probably be helping in
that regard anyway. I've had brain injury myself and it took me many
years to recover. So be patient. Remember this: repeated studies have
demonstrated that psychosocial factors play a fundamentally important
role in the recovery phase of brain injury. Also: Be very careful with
stress levels for her because stress(not effort!) can seriously impair
recovery.

There are many people on this forum contributing towards a greater
understanding of the brain but I'm not one of them. In general medicine
is moving so quickly that treatments are improving at remarkable rates.
eg. Ed Taub's "constraint induced movement therapy" is a classic
example of a very unusual but highly effective approach to helping
stroke victims.

Best of luck to you,

John.