IUBio

[Neuroscience] Q's about the distribution and roles of spiking neurons in the brain

borg at swirve.com borg at swirve.com
Mon Jul 3 07:47:53 EST 2006

Hi all,

I've only recently started reading about spiking neurons.  One of the
first papers I read was "Which Model to Use for Cortical Spiking
Neurons" by Izhikevich, which illustrates the spiking behaviour of 20
different types of biological spiking neurons.  However, what I haven't
been able to discover with my preliminary reading is whether specific
types of spiking neurons are localized to specific areas of the brain
or whether all types are distributed evenly.  In addition, I have not
been able to find anything definate about specific functional roles of
the various types of spiking neuron behavior in the brain, either
singularly or in combination.

So, where should I go next?  Do my questions even have known or
theorized answers?  Any good references, papers, or books that are
recommended for further reading?

Thanks
Adrian B.