IUBio

[Neuroscience] Re: Grandmother Cell Theory

Bill connelly.bill at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 16:15:11 EST 2006

The grandmother cell is a theoretical cell, somewhere in the visual
system of the brain, that would respond only to your grandmother.

The idea rests on the fact that the visual system works by building up
simple shapes into complex images. Early in the visual system (i.e.
close to the eye) you have neurons that will respond only to lines in
certain directions, the ends on lines etc.. and only in certain parts
of visual space. As you move further along the visual system (i.e. the
visual cortex, into the temporal cortices) neurons begin to respond to
more complex shapes, i.e. faces, but now in any part of visual space.

See this figure here:
http://www.szote.u-szeged.hu/phys/frames/edu/itcell2.gif
This cell in the temporal cortex of a monkey responds to a monkeys
face, but only when the face is largely side on.

>From these kind of experiments, (I believe) people hypothesized that
there would a single neuron that would respond to your grandmother, and
only to your grandmother. This idea (I believe) was used to redicule
the theory (just like Schrodingers cat was used). But as far as I am
aware, the theory generally goes that there would a) be more than 1
cell that would respond to your grandmother (probably an array of
them), but that that same neuron (in combination with other neurons)
would respond to a different, but similar visual input.

I'm not so sure about that last bit; maybe someone can correct me.