IUBio

[Neuroscience] Re: Why does one side of the brain control the opposite side of the body?

r norman via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by r_s_norman from comcast.net)
Wed Jun 24 08:36:09 EST 2009

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 03:17:47 -0400, "Praaveen" <praaveenk from gmail.com>
wrote:

>Dear Friends,
>
>I am looking for a clear and precise answer for my question  Why does one
>side of the brain control the opposite side of the body?
>
>Please help me to find an answer this question.
>
>Looking forward with interest to hear from you.

First, you should know that this crossover (decussation is the
technical term) is a peculiarity of vertebrates.  Most animals don't
show it.

Here is a discussion on this subject I participated in five years ago

http://sci.tech-archive.net/pdf/Archive/sci.bio.evolution/2004-12/0204.pdf

That describes my hypothesis that it was just a glitch in the
left-right embryological determination system.  There have been
adaptationist explanations and connectionist explanations but there is
still no really satisfactory and generally accepted view.

Here is a connectionist argument

http://sci.tech-archive.net/pdf/Archive/sci.bio.evolution/2004-12/0204.pdf

Here is an adaptationist explanation
  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12523550