IUBio

[Neuroscience] Help me prevent the worlds strangest noise

Mon Apr 4 12:07:19 EST 2011

Hi,

We are being stumped by some very strange electrical noise. We do
whole-cell recording from brain slices. We all of a sudden have been
recordings very strange noise. It is not 50 Hz noise, but rather, very
sharp, very brief (>1 ms) large amplitude spikes. We have four rigs,
and it is on all of them. But not particularly synchronously across
the rigs. The spikes comes in various sizes. And not at a particular
frequency. i.e. the amplitude and timing is random. We work in Faraday
cages. All cell phones are turned off. And it is still there even if a
rig is run off a battery.

Anyone got any thoughts?