IUBio

[Neuroscience] Re: Help with series resistance and EPSP variations

mathewjones from wisc.edu via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by mathewjones from wisc.edu)
Fri Oct 21 15:17:56 EST 2016

On Friday, November 23, 2012 at 4:36:59 PM UTC-6, Jeffrey Lopez wrote:
> Hi everybody, there is a question I have since some time but still
> dont have a convinvcing answer.
> When your series resistance changes during a patch clamp experiment,
> 1- which influence does it have on my EPSP slope and amplitude?
> 2-why?
> 3-how would it help or not to use a discontinuous (switching) amplifier?
>  If anyone could help me to understand I will appreciate it, please
> try to be explicit in answering. Thanks a lot in advance!

This page has a very nice explanation of why series resistance, pipette capacitance, and also the non-negligible effect of amplifier input impedance introduce artifacts and filtering of signals in current clamp:

http://www.billconnelly.net