neuron-silicon interface?

John Anderson anderson at CSHL.ORG
Thu Oct 29 05:22:11 EST 1992

Here are a couple of articles posted on this newsgroup last year.  You
might try contacting the authors for more info.

John
------- BEGIN INCLUDED TEXT HERE -------
To: neuroscience at solo.csci.unt.edu
Subject: Re: Biological Chip Coatings
Date: 17 May 91 21:12:09 GMT
Sender: usenet at solo.csci.unt.edu (Usenet News)

In article <1991Apr2.164740.28858 at fcom.cc.utah.edu> strohsch at mines.utah.edu (David A Strohschein) writes:

>  I am trying to find information about growing nerve cells on integrated
>circuit surfaces.  The object is to grow the nerves on the ICs while
>retaining the normal or near normal electrical and physiological functions of
>the nerve tissue.

   While not actually growing neurons on ICs we do grow them on glass plates
on which a grid of 64 electrodes has been photo-etched in an area of approx.
1mm^2. We have been very successful in preserving the electrical functions.
As for the physiological, the cells form networks of synaptic connections
that respond pharmacologically in a predictable manner but we doubt that it has
the same physiology as the tissue. I'm involved in the data aquisition and
therefore am no expert in the biology of these systems.
   Anyone interested can contact me via e-mail or by news if they think it's
of interest to all.
__
Keith E. Rowland                rowland@{sonne.}cnns.unt.edu
System Manager                  Center for Network Neuroscience
University of North Texas       PO Box 5218 Denton, Texas 76203
817/565-3896,3472               "Gee, I dunno Andy. Better ask Aunt B."