Sea slugs

nishir at ohsu.edu nishir at ohsu.edu
Wed Aug 25 19:07:58 EST 1993

In article <jstream-230893152053 at girch46.med.uth.tmc.edu>
jstream at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu (rifle river) writes:

>While the lobster has several hundred thousand neurons, the stomatogastric
>ganglion has only 16 neurons.  This is a very useful and well
>studied/modeled system.  See work by Nussbaum and also Silversten(?).
>
>+++++++++++++++                   |
>Rifle River                       |   cash value 1/20th of a cent
>jstream at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu    |   void where prohibited
You definitely want to look up all the work on stomatogastric ganglion.  Alot
of the circuit bashing there took place in the '70's and early '80's.  Authors
to look up would be Allen Selverston, John Miller, Eve Marder, and Daniel
Hartline, to name a few (note the spelling errors of the above posting).  More
recent work (published in the late '80's and currently) on modulation of the
central pattern generator comes from Michael Nusbaum and Eve Marder.  My
apologies to all the other stomatogastric ganglion people I left out...these
are just people I am proud to know from my UCSD days.

Rae Nishi
OHSU
Portland OR