What happened to Phineas Gage?

Adam F Carpenter carpe004 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Wed Dec 28 17:24:07 EST 1994

On 25 Dec 1994 21:11:47 -0500,
RVAllen  <rvallen at aol.com> wrote:

>I am writing a paper for school on the phenomenon of Phineas Gage and I
>was wondering if anyone knows exactly WHERE the brain damage occurred and
>what areas were responsible for his behavioral deficits.  What is the area
>in a human brain that corresponds to area 46 of a monkey?  I have found a
>few articles attributing similar deficits in monkeys to lesions of the
>principle sulcus and area 46, but I am having trouble associating these
>areas with Gage's brain.  Thank you so much for your help!
>
>Princeton University student on break and confused.

Hannah Damasio and colleagues had a paper in Science within the last year
in which they used Gage's skull to reconstruct the trajectory of the rod
that caused his injury.  From these recontructions they made inferences
about the specific areas involved in the ventromedial prefrontal cortex.
This paper would be a good source for you (sorry i don't have the specific
cite...)

Adam Carpenter                        "Bad cop....no donut"
MD/PhD and Neuroscience Programs
University of Minnesota               "Jesus saves.......BUT GRETZKY SCORES
carpe004 at maroon.tc.umn.edu                                             ON THE REBOUND!!!!"