Looking for info. on NDEs and Psychology

John M. Price ez001932 at othello.ucdavis.edu
Sun Jan 9 15:23:43 EST 1994

John K. Sakalauskas (GEN5021 at Husky1.StMarys.Ca) wrote:

: Hello, I am preparing a senior level class presentation on Near Death
: Experiences for my "Psychology & Religion" class and was wondering if
: anyone would be able to recommend some sources of information on the
: subject (other that the "Journal of Near Death Studies" which is not
: available in the local area) or some psychological aspects which would
: be of an interest to an Undergraduate Psychology class.
: Thanks in advance
: -j

Occasionally an article or two on this subject turns up in the journal
'Transpersonal Psychology', a (no longer too) recent one discussed the
problems with the religious view as more is learned of teh neural base
for these experiences.

There was also a paper, now about five to seven years ago, in the journal
'Medical Hypotheses' discussing the receptor cites likely involved in
this, and similar experiences.  The author decided those sites for which
PCP (phencyclidine) is a good match are likely involved.  Note, too, that
the class of anasthetics known as the 'dissociatives' can produce an
emergence psychosis (the medical term, not mine) within which an OOBE is
a common occurance.

There was also an article in the 'Skeptical Inquirer' covering the locus
of perception changes that occur in the stress of dying.  I think it was
by Susan Blackmore.

This is a very interesting phenomenon.  Have fun with it, but remember,
none of the people experiencing this died.  They were into the _process_
of dying.  Death at one time was thought to be an all or nothing sort of
thing.  But, as recovering from the 'leg fallen asleep' will demonstrate,
the nervous system shuts down, and recovers from, such things as lack of
oxygen in an orderly and predictable fashion.  In this example, as a
function of the energy use of the fibers.  I would be surprised if it was
not so in the CNS, as the shutdown by EtOH and other classical anasthetics
tends to indicate that it is.