help on cruetzfelft jacobs disease (sp?)

William T. Honeycutt cn1606 at coastlanet.com
Fri Nov 17 01:19:28 EST 1995

CReutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
(Subacute Spongiform Encephalopathy)

"A progressive, inevitably fatal, slow virus disease of the CNS,
charcterized by progressive dementia and myocolinic seizures and affecting
adults in mid-life"  (The Merck Manual, Sixteeth edition, copyright 1992,
pg. 209.

"little is known about its (the viruses mode) of transmission."

The Merck Manual further recommends standard Universal Precautions when
dealing with people with Creutzfeldt-jakob's, and recommends Steam
Autoclaving of instruments used with patient's with Creutzfeldt-Jakob's.
It also warns that formalin does not appear to be a effective means of
steriliztion.

If memory serves me correctly, the only noted "possibly" transmission of
Creutzfeldt-Jakob is via direct contact with infected bodily fluids, such
as blood, or cerebral spinal fluid, or infected bodily tissues such as
brain dura matter.  However, I also remember that eating sheep eyes as is
a custom in some Arabic countries is also a high risk "behavior" for the
transmission of Creutzfeldt-Jakobs. I unfortunately do not recall if
sexual contact is included in possible modes of transmission, but would
recommend the use of a condom, as part of the general Universal
Precautions.

Unfortunately, like so many viruses, little is know about this one.

sincerely,
William T. Honeycutt, RN.