Are InsP3 and Intracellular Ca+2 Related to Microfilament Elongation ?

Zanos Stavros stavrosz at med.auth.gr
Fri Mar 29 23:27:04 EST 1996

In a recent issue of TINS, Edwards (1995) suggests that a key-stage in the
changes evoked by LTP induction is the "...elongation of the microfillaments
that are attached to the postsynaptic density, tending to cause it to bend up
and perforate". He also suggests that a most possible mechanism for
triggering of this process is the activation of metabotropic Glu receptors
(mGluRs), through the formation of InsP3 and the release of intracellular
Ca2+ from the spinal smooth ER. The author however does not mention any
findings relating either of these two factors to a possible change in
microfilament status.

Is anybody aware of any such findings ?

That would be a great deal of help to me, since I need this kind of info in
order to finish my part of a seminar-presentation, concerned with the
molecular/cellular correlates of learning. On the other hand, this conceptual
model seems rather attractive, and (as noted by the author) it could
potentially unify (?) the widely different approaches used so far to explain
the expression of LTP.

Thank you mostly, in advance.

REFERENCE:
Edwards F.A. (1995) LTP -  A Structural Model to Explain the Inconsistencies.
Trends Neurosci. 18: 250-255

--
Zanos Stavros
Aristotle Univ School of Medicine

		"If I had more time, I would have written you a shorter letter"

							Pascal