Hell's 'carrot'

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 27 03:22:26 EST 1999

Patrik Bagge wrote:

> kenneth Collins wrote in message <383D10C8.EACA9170 at earthlink.net>...
> >i read a story, tonight. Bishop Fulton Sheen told it. it was an old Russian
> story
> >about a person in Hell who was asked by an Angel whether, if granted the
> means to
> >get out of Hell, would the person take the opportunity? the person
> answered,
> >"Yes." so the Angel came back and held out a carrot for the person to grab
> onto.
> >the person grabbed hold, but all the other people in Hell tried to grab
> onto the
> >person.
> >
> >so, all remained in Hell.
>
> Interesting story, allow me a variation:
>
> The person is quick and since he has
> the advantage of being first,he slips the hangarounds
> , eats the carrot on the way to Heaven, since
> he's really hungry too !, arriving to heaven, both
> happy to be there and well fed, going 'burp'
>
> The next part of the story is really interesting, for
> once he is in heaven, he finds this large pile of
> carrots and friendly angels. Being the
> compassionate/ethic/moral
> person he is, he manages to convince the
> angels to rescue the other poor individuals from
> hell.
>
> In the light of this scenario, should he or should he
> not, at least, have an attempt on the carrot in the
> first place ?

when i started out ~29 years ago, my view was something like that. but it soon
became apparent that, when folks get 'side-tracked' by 'money', folks get
'side-tracked', period, and end up doing a lot of stuff =except= what needs to
be done. the 'money' always comes 'with strings attached'... all the 'tugs on
the strings' work against one's doing what needs to be done.

so, to avoid the 'strings', i've avoided the 'money'.

it's 'funny'. in my Youth, i was Gregarious. the one who was always working to
make things 'fun' for all in my company. but then i became aware of all the
Suffering that's out-there, and saw that it was mostly-needless. so i gave my
life to doing what needed to be done. my life has been 'pretty'-drab as a
result, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. a man does what needs
to be done, regardless.

> Is it justified to lie, when 'convincing' the angels ?

no.

> may it even be 'acceptable' to push a hangaround
> in the flames when going for the carrot ?

no... 'cause one never knows who'll find the stuff of Redemption within
themselves, and Redeemed 'hanger-around-ers', because they had to come to
understand sufficiently to see the worth in 'hanging-around', might be able to
do some Good.

so, i just work around the 'impediments', as best i can.

i understand that (how & why) folks 'view' me as being a 'naive mark', but all
these decisions are mostly-easy for me, because i understand the Consequences.

the Consequences make 'failure' Unthinkable.

'success', one snippet at a 'time' does make for pretty-slow-going, but it
cannot be that the understanding is ab-used.

if you 'wonder', i do wonder if that 'concern' of mine is a 'carrot' of my own
manufacture.

but, it's just so strange that, after as much as i've shared, there's been only
Resistance to Communicating the work in fullness.

because it's been so, it's clear that there's something 'sinister' operating
out-there. what would such 'sinister' stuff do with the understanding?

build 'weapons systems'? become 'Dictator' to all folks, everywhere? suck the
Life out of Humanity?

the Answers will come when folks make it safe to communicate by communicating
in-person.

meanwhile, a lot of the good that the understanding can do is being forsaken,
but i've been 'dribbling' it out in bits and pieces, and i do see folks
'responding' (which does add to my 'curiosity' with respect to the Censorship).

ken