question related to neuron spiking

Xiaoshen Li xli6 at gmu.edu
Fri Mar 26 10:48:17 EST 2004

Matt,
Thank you very much. I am very excited. I have never realized the neuron
spiking shape is containing so many secrets, e.g. Ih, Ik(ca), ...

As you said, the afterhyperpolarization curve is from the peak of action
potential to the most hyperpolarized point and continue to the point
Vmem back to Vrest (if no after-depolarization happening here, so it
doesn't even include ADP part curve), how can we fit the curve to say it
is mono-phasic or bi-phasic?

Yes. I learned Hodgkin-Huxley model from the book. But in the world many
people are talking about Ca++ activated K+ channel in the neuron
spiking. In a neuron spiking, is K(Ca) channel actually playing more
role than the classical HH K channel? Is the classical HH K channel
actually not common in the real world? I am interested in seeing a slow
AHP caused by K(Ca).

Actually I am not aware that by studying the shape of neuron spiking,
one can find out its underneath mechanism. In my impression, almost no
any textbook emphasized this part. Hille's, Kandel's, Johnston's,...
I think it would be great somebody write this part. Or if you could
point me more sources?

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Xiaoshen