[Neuroscience] Re: The total number of neurons in the human CNS

Kalman Rubinson via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by kr4 from earthlink.net)
Thu Mar 11 20:43:06 EST 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:09:33 -0800 (PST), "J.A.Legris"
<jalegris from sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On Mar 10, 2:44 pm, "Dr. Michael Ferber" <Michael.Fer... from gmx.de>
>wrote:
>> On Wednesday 10 March 2010 16:52:07 Peter H. wrote:
>>
>> > Frankly, wherever I have found someting about this issue on the
>> > Internet, the number was always on the order of 10^11 to 10^12.
>> > So how high is the total numer of neurons in the human CNS according
>> > to the latest estimates?
>>
>> These numbers are around since at least 20 to 25 years. I tried to figure out
>> from where they are coming.... without success. Kandel was mentionesd as
>> source, but in a talk he claimed nto be not guilty ;-)
>> I never fpoun d serious etsimations based on counting neurons in a certain
>> volume or better certain volumes of different parts of the brain. Even the 2
>> million neurons (or so) in bee brains are- to my knowledge- just rough
>> estimates....
>>
>> Rehgards
>> Michael
>
>See http://www.transhumanist.com/volume1/moravec.htm for a
>computational romp around this question. Result: 10^11 to 10^13
>neurons.

Here are some relevant references:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/urw001q26p140733/
http://www.nervenet.org/papers/NUMBER_REV_1988.html