Dientamoeba fragilis

Robert Hughes roberth at gov.nb.ca
Fri May 19 15:26:51 EST 1995

I am looking for information on Dientamoeba fragilis: one of our children has
been diagnosed as "having" it.  Not much  local medical/parasitological
information  has been obtainable.  It seems, from having contacted several
doctors, that it is not a major concern; a treatment has been prescribed. We
(parents) are interested in knowing what the likely hosts/vectors for
infection are, e.g does it live in/get spread by dogs or other animals, in
water, etc. We have a dog and spend a lot of time outdoors, swimming in lakes
and rivers in summer.

Any info would be great. Please email direct if poss. as I may not be able to
check in regularly. Thanks.

Rob Hughes
Fredericton, NB