Crypto in dogs and cats

ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Thu May 25 03:01:49 EST 1995

In Article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950524154820.4318A-100000 at snoopy>
lindsds at vetmed.auburn.edu ("David S. Lindsay") writes:

>It has been our experience that the prevalence of Cryptosporidium parvum
>oocysts in the feces of kittens and dogs is extremely low. After examining
>over 6,450 fecal specimens from dogs from shelters, we found no positive
>cases using Sheather's sugar flotation.

	This was also true for the study of shelter dogs in Knox Co, TN.
We have infrequently found Crypto as an incidental finding in asymptomatic
cats and dogs seen in the clinic. Needless to say, this always provokes
a vigorous course of chemotherapy from the clinicians involved and an
opportunity  to remind them of the public health implications for transmission
of the parasite to the pet owners.

*      Charles T. Faulkner       *   Get your facts first and then you
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *   can distort them as much as you please.
*   (ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu)     *                   Mark Twain