[Q] cold trap

Andreas Rose t3077 rose at alf1.ngate.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Sep 13 09:50:45 EST 1995

I study the host-finding of a blood-sucking bug (Reduviidae - Triatominae).
I want to collect odors from the headspace of a sleeping person and see
whether these are attractive in a behavioral test.

For the collection of the odors, I want to construct a cold trap. I have a
general idea of what I'll to do: lead the air from the headspace first
through a washbottle that is cooled using ordinary ice. This will take out the
humidity and hopefully leave some odors in the air. Then I want to lead the
air through a container that is even colder, or maybe several containers. The
whole process will take a whole night, that is anything between 8 and 12 hours.

I have the following questions: Has anybody done something similar? What
cooling agents are best  used for this (Dry ice or mixtures of dry ice and
alcohol or acetone - two possiblities I heard. Liquid nitrogen?)? Is it
a good idea to fill the washbottles with glaspearls to increase the surface
area? Should I add different solvents into several washbottles? Or different
solvents that don't mix into one bottle? Would either of this have the effect
that the components of the odor are already fractioned? What solvents are the
best for situations like that?

Does anybody know of a book that addresses questions like these? I have
thumbed through our library, but so far I have found nothing that would put me
on the right track.

Any input is welcome, either as a PM or asa follow-up.

Thank you,

Andreas

andreas.rose at biologie.uni-regensburg.de