uv effects on photosynthesis

Paul E. Ulanch pulanch at bioch.tamu.edu
Wed Sep 28 12:50:55 EST 1994

In article <3687ut$8f7 at garuda.csulb.edu> arajab at csulb.edu (Adel Rajab) writes:

>HELP! I am a grad student whose interests lie in studying the effects of
>UV radiation on phytoplankton. There is a lot of literature out there on
>the harmful effects of UV rad on photosynthesis, but, mainly, the
>reports go something like: "plant exposed to UV which resulted in
>decreases primary production".
>My question is: what are the specific molecular effects of UV on the
>photosynthetic apparatus itself which may lead to decreased
>photosynthesis. It is known that DNA damage (and damage to other
>organells) will lead to decreased photosynthesis, but what about the
>photosynthetic machinery itself?
>Direct comments by the more learned experts is greatly appreciated as
>well as any references to references I have overlooked.

>Thanks.

Adel,

UV light is damaging to the photosystem complexes themselves.  Photosystem II
reaction center proteins D1 and D2 are degraded as a result and the mechanisms
that the chloroplast has adopted to maintain levels of those two proteins are
studied in our lab (John Mullet, Texas A&M Univ.).  A paper that might give
you some ideas would be Plant Physiol. 104:1119.  It got the cover of that
issue.  This paper should give you some reviews on the UV degredation of PS II
as well.  Hope this helps...
Paul "Goose" Ulanch

Dept. Biochem/Biophys
Texas A&M University