photosynthesis--latency period?

Price, Carl A price at OCELOT.RUTGERS.EDU
Wed Jul 5 12:49:40 EST 1995

To: photosyn at
From: BruceRat on Wed 5 Jul 1995 13:33
Subject: photosynthesis--latency period?

QUESTION:  How long after algae is exposed to full sunlight does it reach
its maximum photosynthetic rate?  Is it like, say, the LAC operon, where
certain enzymes need to be synthesized first (so, 5-10 minutes)?
I am working on a project with pond primary productivity.  I have been
keeping ponds in sunlight, or dark, and measuring dissolved oxygen
production.  If you have any experience timing the process from the "GO!",
please advise.
Bruce Ratcliffe  (BruceRat at AOL.COM)
For a start, it's "...algae ARE exposed... ." [singular, alga; plural, algae;
adjectival, algal].

Second, it depends on the cycling intervals employed.

Third, it depends on the KIND of algae employed.

--Carl Price