Plant riparian population genetics

Toby Bradshaw toby at stein.u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 7 19:07:55 EST 1993

In article <1993Jan7.215342.22845 at cbfsb.cb.att.com> djd at cbnewsg.cb.att.com (david.j.daulton) writes:
>Regarding populus tichocarpa, I read that this is one of the "balsam
>poplars", and one of the most fragrant plants to have in one's garden.
>Specifically, it is supposed to smell really good when the buds first open
>in the spring.  So, I sent off for one, but when it arrived, no smell.
>
>I tried keeping it in a pot, but it died during the winter.  Before I order
>another, was the book wrong, and this is not fragrant plant, or did it
>arrive after its fragrant phase, or did the nursery send me the wrong
>tree?

P. trichocarpa ("black cottonwood") is a member of the section
Tacamahaca ("balsam poplars").  The yellow, sticky bud resin
is the smell of spring in the Pacific Northwest, and can be
quite strong near a big stand.  P. balsamifera has a stronger,
less pleasant (to me) smell.  I wouldn't recommend planting
either species near a dwelling with sewers or septic tanks,
as the Populus are notorious for clogging them with a
profusion of greedy roots.

Toby Bradshaw                       |
Department of Biochemistry          |  Will make genetic linkage maps
and College of Forest Resources     |            for food.
University of Washington, Seattle   |
toby at u.washington.edu               |