Ants in Oak Tree Question

Mark Taylor markt at cpd.Tandem.COM
Tue Jul 13 20:31:58 EST 1993

I don't know if this is the right forum but it seems the closest.

I have a California Oak that I trimmed a dead branch off last night. A nest of
big (1/4"+) red ants (and their eggs) was in this branch right up against the
healthy section of the branch. The healthy section had a moist cambrium (?) under
the bark and was a good red color (good sign).  The rest of the branch was dead
and rotting.

Question: Did the ants move in because the limb was dead or did the ants move in
and kill the branch. If the later, should I spray with something to discourage
any more nests and what should I use?

Thanks for your help.

 Mark