Butterfly Gardens was (The Butterflies This Year)

Dr. Albert Hybl hybl at umbc.edu
Tue Sep 7 14:12:25 EST 1993

AHMGR at rohvm1.rohmhaas.com writes in rec.gardens:
> Has anyone noticed the amounts, species, sizes of butterflies
> this year?  I live in Maryland (NE) and cannot believe the
> butterflies I've seen.  Black and blue...brown and orange....yellow
> and orange....purple and yellow....black and orange.  Some look
> iridescent and tropical.  And HUGE.  And LOTS.

About a month or two ago, I read a disturbing article in a news
magazine that argued that the wide use of herbicides and
pesticides along road, rail and power line right-of-ways
threatened many species of butterflies with extinction.
The Audubon Society takes annual counts of bird populations, are
there any similar efforts to count butterflies or any other
insect populations nation wide?  Are we losing species of butterflies?

Let's see, this year in my backyard, I have seen one Black Swallowtail
Butterfly, one Monarch(?) Butterfly and several white Cabbage
Butterflies who flew by checking to see if I planted any
kohlrabi.  I didn't, but I did plant some parsley.

While gathering some parsley from my garden, I observed a few
larvae of the Swallowtail Butterflies.  I had been thinking to
plant a hummingbird garden, but it seems I have inadvertently started
a Butterfly Garden; I am sharing my parsley plot with caterpillars!

                    Swallowtail Houska
                    ==================
       Petrzel Houska (Parsley Bread) -- Swallowtail Twist
                       by Albert Hybl

Cut about 2 cups of fresh parsley from the garden.  [If you find
green caterpillars about 1" long 3/16 in diameter with black
circumferential strips on them, do not squash!  They are probably
the larvae of beautiful Swallowtail Butterflies.  Please, leave these
caterpillars unharmed in your garden.]

Wash the parsley and place into a Cuisinart food processor and chop
into fine fragments.  (This should produce 2/3 to 3/4 cup of chopped
parsley.)  Don't bother to remove the parsley from the Cuisinart
but change from using the chopping blade to the plastic mixing blade.

Stir 1 package of dry yeast in 1 cup of warm water that contains
1 T. honey; let stand.  Place 1/2 cup (1 stick) of Fleishmann's
Sweet unsalted 100% Corn oil spread or equivalent shortening into
the microwave and heat (on low) until it becomes a soft liquid.
Put 2 eggs into a bowl and beat until smooth in texture.

Into the Cuisinart, containing about 2/3 c. chopped parsley, add:

      4 c. flour                     1/2 t. dried rosemary
      1 t. salt                      1/2 t. dried basil
    1/4 c. sugar                       1 t. cinnamon
    1/2 c. melted shortening (4 oz.)   2 T. honey
      1 c. activated yeast mixture     2 whole beaten eggs

Proceed to mix until smooth, adding extra flour until the mixture is no
longer sticky.  Transfer to a floured board, cover with towel and let
the dough rise (about 90 minutes) to double in bulk in a warm location.
Punch down and divide the dough into five parts; roll each piece by
hand into strips about 15 inches long.  Braid three strips together and
put on a greased cookie sheet.  Beat one egg and brush the Houska where
the strips cross.  Twist together the remaining two strips and put on
top of the first layer.  Cover and let rise about 45-60 minutes.

Brush the surface of the Houska.  Bake for about 35 minutes at 325
degrees F.  When half done, brush again and rotate the pan.  The
Houska should be nicely browned when done.  Allow the Swallowtail
Houska to cool before cutting.

Na shledanou,
Albert Hybl (hybl at umbc.edu)