Black flowers

Richard richardh at its-science.cc.monash.edu.au
Mon May 1 03:16:53 EST 1995

ez043438 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu (Jeffrey Kirby) wrote:
>In reality there really is no such thing as a black flower, short of a
>painted one. Not to my knowledge. There are flowers that are very
close,
>though, including at least one orchid hybrid (it's a Catasetum that I
>don't remember the cross - made by someone at G.E.M. Orchids, I think -
>it was a pink crossed with a red, and I think Ctsm. Rebecca Northen was
>the pink) which has so much red pigment that it appeared black. It even
>got a special award from the American Orchid Society Judges there for
the
>blackest orchid they had ever seen. You can find an article in the AOS
>Bulletin from a few years back with a picture - I'll try to find the
>reference later and post it. One other "black" flower I have seen was
>about 5 years ago in the stock fields of a violet breeder. Real dark
>purples will get into the "black" range - and they truly appear black.
>About black tulips, that I don't know. And other than that one black
>orchid, that's mostly a myth about finding black orchids, although I
hear
>there is a mystery series in which the hero collects black orchids
>(again, fiction).
>
>Hope it helps - I'll post the reference later.
>
>-J
>
>-----------------------------
-----
>        Jeffrey A. Kirby -- Jester of Xanadu -- jakirby at ucdavis.edu
>
>Life is like a nebulous signature file.

A flower native to the Kimberley region of Western Australia has what
seems to be a truly (but not wholly) Black flower.  It is a pea flower
and has a 'tongue' of white or yellow, depending on the strain.  It is a
vigourous and hardy climber that grows well in temperate regions.
The name is Kennedia nigricans and is available widely in nurseries in
Australia.  I have one growing in my fence currently where it covers
quite an area.
Regards
Richard Harrison
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.