Drought resistant plants?? HELP!!

Andrea Via ez054637 at chip.ucdavis.edu
Mon May 1 14:29:57 EST 1995

Andrew Johnson (ez057460 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu) wrote:
: I need some ideas of the best kind of drought resistant plants.  I am in
: California and I need some good plants for my yard.  What does anybody
: suggest??  (Most colorful and little maintenance)
: Thanks a lot!!
: --Andy Johnson

Many Australian plants grow great in California and many nurseries are
starting to carry them.  If you can find it, a great plant is called the
Kangaroo Paw (unfortunatly I don't know the latin name off hand).  I have
it at home in Santa Rosa.  It loves full sun and I've never needed to
water it.  Just don't plant it too close to plants you'd be fertalizing
since it doesn't like added fertalizer.  The flowers are really unique
and come in red and yellow.  The only problem I've had with it is that
the leaves have a tendency to get black edges on them when there has been
a lot of rain.  Hope that helps.
						Andrea